California State Restoration |
Serving Sonoma, Napa & Marin Counties
(707) 800-3220
OPEN 24/7-

Are You Ready for these Cold Hard Factoids About Mold Toxicity?

Are You Ready for these Cold Hard Factoids About Mold Toxicity? | California State Restoration

Those musty smells in your basement could point to a hidden culprit behind your chronic health problems: Mold! If you think you may have mold in your home and it’s affecting your health, contacting us at California State Restoration is surely a no-brainer!

Mold is a fungus found both outdoors and indoors. When certain types grow inside your home or workplace, you may develop mold-related illness.

The symptoms of mold-induced toxicity are often vague — like fatigue, memory problems, gut issues, and muscle aches. So, it’s easy to attribute them to other causes. On top of that, you don’t always know when you’re exposed to toxic mold.

Due to these factors, mold illness often goes unrecognized. But mold can be a barrier to overcoming complex, chronic health issues. If mold is a culprit for you, it’s crucial to identify and address it.

Keep reading for essential information on mold toxicity. Find out how mold causes illness, common symptoms, and effective solutions.

You’re likely familiar with mold allergies. But you may wonder how they differ from mold toxicity, also called chronic mold illness. In short, poisons produced by mold can cause illness that extends beyond common mold allergies.

Mold allergy symptoms tend to be limited to your respiratory tract, eyes, and skin — such as a runny nose and itchy eyes. Allergies happen when your immune system overreacts to mold spores. Those are dormant forms of the fungi. They’re lightweight and easily float through the air.

In contrast, mold illness results from mold growing indoors and producing toxins. These can trigger varied and widespread symptoms in your body.

The buildings that harbor mold toxins are water-damaged buildings. This damage can result from any water intrusion — such as from flooding, melting snow, or leaky pipes. Everyday activities like showering without good ventilation are risks, too. Warm, humid environments also increase mold growth risk.

Toxic mold growth could happen in any type of building. The most problematic ones are those where you spend a lot of time. That includes homes, workplaces, and schools.

Studies suggest that up to 50% of buildings in North America and Europe may have water damage. So, it’s better to suspect a building has a mold growth problem rather than assume it doesn’t.

You’ve likely heard of “black mold” or Stachybotrys chartarum, which sometimes makes news headlines. It is greenish-black in color and well-known to contribute to mold-induced toxicity.

But black mold is far from the only mold that can harm your health. And Stachybotrys chartarum is not the only mold that can appear black.

Examples of other types of molds often found in toxic indoor environments include:

  • Aspergillus
  • Chaetomium
  • Cladosporium
  • Fusarium
  • Mucor
  • Penicillium
  • Rhizopus
  • Wallemia

Several of these molds have many different species or subtypes. Some of these are more problematic than others. For example, Aspergillus Niger, Chaetomium globous, and Wallemia Sebi are species that produce toxins. Elevated levels of these molds in your home could harm your health.

There’s no “clear-cut” list of signs and symptoms that specifically point to mold illness. You may not even recall or be aware you’ve been exposed to mold. But one possible clue is a sudden, unexplainable downturn in your health.

This can lead to a series of doctor visits. You may be given a diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), fibromyalgia, or irritable bowel syndrome. But this is overlooking the root cause.

For example, in a study of people with CFS, about 90% had spent significant time in a water-damaged building. And, 93% of the people had at least one type of mycotoxin in their urine. In contrast, healthy people had no detectable urine mycotoxins.
Mold can also trigger inflammation. One study found that people working in damp buildings produced anywhere from 2 to 1,000 times more inflammatory messengers.

Brain scans of people with mold illness suggest inflammation can lead to structural brain changes and nervous system dysfunction. That may contribute to hypersensitivity to foods, chemicals, and other items that didn't previously bother you. This is part of chronic inflammatory response syndrome, described next.

An ongoing inflammatory response to mold or other biotoxins can lead to chronic inflammatory response syndrome (CIRS). It’s also referred to as biotoxin illness. In this condition, inflammation affects multiple systems of your body.
Chronic exposure to a water-damaged building is the most common trigger of CIRS. Chronic Lyme disease is another cause. Some people have both. That’s a double whammy to your system.

The following signs and symptoms are often found in CIRS due to mold-induced toxicity:

Brain function: Brain fog, memory loss, trouble finding words, difficulty concentrating, problems taking in new information

Digestive system: Metallic taste in mouth, nausea, vomiting, bloating, abdominal pain, diarrhea, leaky gut, food sensitivities

Eyes: Blurred vision, eye irritation, itchy eyes, sensitivity to bright light

Energy: Excessive fatigue, thyroid dysfunction

Immune system: Poor immunity, autoimmune conditions, over-reactivity to foods and chemicals, flu-like symptoms

Mental state: Anxiety, depression, irritability, mood swings

Muscles and skeleton: Muscle pain, joint pain, morning stiffness

Nervous system: Headaches, “icepick-like” pain, static shocks, dizziness, poor balance and coordination, seizure-like events, tremors, numbness, tingling, skin sensitivity to light touch, temperature regulation problems

Respiratory system: Cough, sore throat, runny nose, sneezing, chronic sinus congestion, new-onset or worsening asthma, shortness of breath, chest tightness

Scent sensitivity: Unpleasant symptoms upon exposure to fragrances, chemicals, and other odors (multiple chemical sensitivity)

Skin: Rashes, dryness, irritation

Sleep: Insomnia, frequent waking during sleep, night sweats

Urinary system: Increased urination, urgency, incontinence

Weight: Appetite swings, weight gain or weight-loss resistance

Many of these symptoms could also be due to reasons other than mold toxicity and CIRS. That’s why mold illness is often overlooked or misdiagnosed. The specific effects depend on your body’s unique vulnerabilities.

If you ever suspect that mold is present in your home or may be experiencing health issues because of it, please call us promptly at California State Restoration. We have helped 100s of customers who had mold but now they are 100% mold free thanks to all of us at California State Restoration.

About California State Restoration Services

Serving Napa, Marin, and Sonoma Counties with 24/7 Emergency Services, California State Restoration Services in Santa Rosa, CA performs every aspect of disaster restoration. For all your water, fire, storm, and mold damage needs, as well as for sewage and biohazard cleanups, California State Restoration Services is a one-stop company that is known for quality work and a professional approach to everything we do. We have grown steadily over the years because we make customer service a #1 priority and are always looking for solutions that are viable and affordable.

Sources: Yahoo, Google, and Forbes 

Leave a comment

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.

Math question :  

Solve this simple math problem and enter the result in the box. E.g. for 1 + 3, enter 4.

Please send me your e-newsletter

Post Info:

Published on:
01/24/2022

Post by:
Admin

Category:
Mold Remediation

Tag(s):
#Black mold
#California State Restoration
#Mold
#Mold allergy
#Mold-induced toxicity
#Mold-related illness
#Stachybotrys chartarum
#Toxic mold

How to Clean and Disinfect Your Home Against COVID-19 | California State Restoration
The 7 Things to Do First When Your Home Gets Flooded | California State Restoration

Client's Testimonial

Professional, helpful, and reassuring

We called California State Restoration about a water leak in our upstairs bathroom and a crew showed up that same night to extract the water and set up drying equipment.

They were professional, helpful, and reassuring. They took the time to explain what needed to be done and why, then walked me through the estimate for the clean up and repairs step by step.

Also worked with my insurance no problem. If anything ever happens again I'm definitely calling these guys.

Homeowner
S.I.
Windsor CA