California State Restoration |
Serving Sonoma, Napa & Marin Counties
(707) 800-3220
OPEN 24/7-

4 Main Common Causes of Home Fire Damage

4 Main Common Causes of Home Fire Damage | California State Restoration

According to the National Fire Protection Association, there are an estimated approximately 350,000 home structure fires per year. Depending on the severity of the fire and what caused the fire, the damage can be cleaned up easily or require a professional restoration team. While there are many causes of home fire damage, there are a few that happen most often like cooking grease fires, electrical problems, unattended candles, and smoking-related fires. Let’s learn a little more about each of them below, brought to you from all of us at California State Restoration in Santa Rosa, CA.

Cooking Grease Fires

Most home fires tend to occur in the kitchen. This is due to the amount of heat, gas, and grease that are used in the room. With grease fires, damage occurs quickly, and water only makes the fire worse. If you experience a grease fire in your kitchen, you should never use water to put out the fire. Instead, turn off the heat immediately, smother the flame, and if needed use a chemical fire extinguisher.

Smoking Related Fires

Another common cause of home fire damage is smoking-related fires. If you have a smoker in your household or that visits often, it is important that they are highly aware of accidents that could cause a fire. Common scenarios that lead to a smoking-related fire are falling asleep with a lit cigarette, overloading ashtrays, and sparked embers landing inside the home. To avoid these mistakes, you can encourage guests and family members to smoke outdoors, clean their ashtray frequently, and to always make sure that lit cigarettes are put out.

Electrical Fires

Another common cause of home fire damage is electrical fires. Electrical fires are caused by fault or damaged wiring within your home. This can be in wiring plugged into sockets or wiring that is housed behind your home walls. It’s important to be cautious of how much you are plugging into the power sources and not to overcrowd them. You should also address any broken or frayed wires as soon as possible. One of the most telling signs of an electrical fire is the smell of burning plastic. If you notice this, turn off your home’s power source immediately and seek professional help.

Candle Fires

Having candles can be a fun way to add décor and fragrance to your home. However, if not watched carefully, candles can become a fire hazard and be a cause of home fire damage. Whether you have candles, wax warmers, incense, or any other fragrance tools in your home, they all need to be turned off when not home or watched carefully if you are. If they are left unattended, the heat can shatter glass, cause spilled wax, and be knocked over. Some wax is even flammable, being more likely to cause a fire to spread in your home.

About California State Restoration Services

Serving Napa, Marin, and Sonoma Counties with 24/7 Emergency Services, California State Restoration Services in Santa Rosa, CA performs every aspect of disaster restoration. For all your water, fire, storm, and mold damage needs, as well as for sewage and biohazard cleanups, California State Restoration Services is a one-stop company that is known for quality work and a professional approach to everything we do. We have grown steadily over the years because we make customer service a #1 priority and are always looking for solutions that are viable and affordable.

Leave a comment

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.

Math question :  

Solve this simple math problem and enter the result in the box. E.g. for 1 + 3, enter 4.

Please send me your e-newsletter

Post Info:

Published on:
09/05/2022

Post by:
Admin

Category:
Fire Restoration

Tag(s):
#California State Restoration
#Candle Fires
#Cooking Grease Fires
#Electrical Fires
#National Fire Protection Association
#Professional restoration
#Smoking Related Fires
#Structure fires

Make Smart Moves When Fire Hits Your House or Business | California State Restoration
What Happens When We Perform Mold Inspections? | California State Restoration

Client's Testimonial

California State Restoration did a great job!

They fixed my mold and cleaned it up. Save my kitchen and save me more money. They were careful about what they're doing.

They were the least expensive and had a good pricing. They were on time and professional!

W.D.
Homeowner
Santa Rosa, CA